Professor Mark Bellis is Honorary Professor in Public Health at Bangor University, Director of Policy, Research and Development for Public Health Wales, and Chair of the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Violence Prevention. Mark has undertaken substantive work in the field of violence prevention, alcohol, drugs and sexual health. He has published over 150 academic papers and more than 200 applied public health reports. He regularly works on the development on public health policy at local, national and international levels; working with the European Public Health Association, WHO and other UN organisations. As a Director in Public Health Wales, Mark leads on Policy, Research and International health issues. Professor Bellis is an expert advisor to the Home Office, alcohol lead for the UK Faculty of Public Health, academic advisor to Public Health England and a member of the WHO global expert advisory panel on violence prevention.
PublicationsProfessor Mark A. Bellis- Publications
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle KA, Sethi D, Butchart A, Mikton C, Jones L, Dunne MP. The effect of multiple adverse childhood experiences on health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Public Health (In Press)
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Hardcastle K, Ashton K, Ford K, Quigg Z, Davies A. The impact of adverse childhood experiences on health service use across the life course using a retrospective cohort study. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy (In press).
- Bellis MA, Hardcastle K, Ford K, Hughes K, Ashton K, Quigg Z, Butler N. Does continuous trusted adult support in childhood impart life-course resilience against adverse childhood experiences - a retrospective study on adult health-harming behaviours and mental well-being. 2017,17:110, DOI: 10.1186/s12888-017-1260-z.
- Quigg Z, McGee C, Hughes K, Russell S, Bellis MA. Violence-related ambulance call-outs in the North West of England: a cross-sectional analysis of nature, extent and relationships to temporal, celebratory and sporting events. Emergency Medicine Journal, 2017 (On Line First) http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2016-20608.
- Long S, Fone D, Gartner A, Bellis MA. Demographic and socio-economic inequalities in the risk of emergency hospital admission for violence: cross-sectional analysis of a national database in Wales BMJ Open 2016; 6:e011169. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016- 011169.
- Hughes K, Lowey H, Quigg Z, Bellis MA. Relationships between adverse childhood experiences and adult mental well-being: results from an English national household survey. BMC Public Health 2016, 16:222, DOI 10.1186/s12889-016-2906-3.
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Nicholls J, Sheron N, Gilmore I, Jones L. The alcohol harm paradox: using a national survey to explore how alcohol may disproportionately impact health in deprived individuals. BMC Public Health, 2016, 16:111 DOI 10.1186/s12889-016-2766-x
- Russell S, Hughes K, Bellis MA. The impact of childhood experience and adult well-being on eating preferences and behaviours. BMJ Open, 2016, 6:e007770. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-007770.
- Bellis MA, Quigg Z, Hughes, K, Ashton, K, Ferris J, Winstock A. Harms from other people’s drinking: an international survey of their occurrence, impacts on feeling safe and legislation relating to their control. BMJ Open, 2015, 2015;5:e010112. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010112.
- Williams R, Ashton K, Aspinall R, Bellis MA et al. Implementation of the Lancet Standing Commission on Liver Disease in the UK. The Lancet, 2015. Vol. 386, 2098-2111.
- Dyakova M, Weiss M, Middleton J, Bellis MA. The Europe we want—a Transatlantic Health and Wellbeing Partnership? European Journal of Public Health 2015, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckv117 553-554
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Jones L, Morleo M, Nicholls J, McCoy E, Webster J, Sumnall H. Holidays, celebrations and commiserations: measuring drinking during feasting and fasting to improve national and individual estimates of alcohol consumption. BMC Medicine 2015, 13:113 DOI 10.1186/s12916-015-0337-0
- Cook PA, Morleo M, Billington D, Sanderson-Shortt K, Jones C, Gabbay M, Sheron N, Bellis MA, Phillips-Howard PA, Gilmore IT. Evaluation of work-based screening for early signs of alcohol-related liver disease in hazardous and harmful drinkers: the PrevAIL study. BMC Public Health 2015, 15:532 DOI 10.1186/s12889-015-1860-9.
- Jones L, Bates G, McCoy E, Bellis MA, 2015. Relationship between alcohol-attributable disease and socioeconomic status, and the role of alcohol consumption in this relationship: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health 2015, DOI 10.1186/s12889-015-1720-7
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle KA, McHale P, Bennett A, Ireland R, Pike K. Associations between e-cigarette access and smoking and drinking behaviours in teenagers. BMC Public Health 2015; 15:244, DI 10.1186/s12889-015-1618-4.
- Quigg Z, Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hasselt N, Calafat A, Košir M, Duch M, Juan M, Voorham L, Goossens FX. Incidents of harm in European drinking environments and relationships with venue and customer characteristics. International Journal of Alcohol and Drug Research; 2015. DOI: 10.7895/ijadr.v3i4.180.
- Williams R, Aspinall R, Bellis MA, et al. Addressing the Crisis of Liver Disease in the UK: A blueprint for attaining excellence in healthcare for liver disease and reducing premature mortality from the major lifestyle issues of excess alcohol consumption, obesity and viral hepatitis. The Lancet. 2014; dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61838-9.
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Leckenby N, et al. Adverse childhood experiences and associations with health-harming behaviours in young adults: surveys in eight eastern European countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2014; 92: 641–655B.
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Leckenby N, Hardcastle KA, Perkins C, Lowey H. Measuring mortality and the burden of adult disease associated with adverse childhood experiences in England: a national survey. Journal of Public Health Advance Access published August 30, 2014.
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Leckenby N, Perkins C, Lowey H. National household survey of adverse childhood experiences and their relationship with resilience to health harming behaviours in England. BMC Medicine 2014; 12: 72.
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle KA, Butchart A, Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Mikton C. Global development and diffusion of outcome evaluation research for interpersonal and self-directed violence prevention from 2007 to 2013: A systematic review. 2014; Aggression and Violent Behavior, /dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2014.09.006
- Morleo M, Bellis MA. Jones L. Alcohol age of initiation and long-term impact: a cross sectional survey of adults in England. J. Substance Use. 2014; Early Online: 1–7, DOI: 10.3109/14659891.2014.974228.
- Kelly D, Hughes K, Bellis MA. Work Hard, Party Harder: Drug Use and Sexual Behaviour in Young British Casual Workers in Ibiza, Spain. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2014, 11.
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Leckenby N, Quigg Z Hardcastle K, Sharples O, Llewellyn D. Does legislation to prevent alcohol sales to drunk individuals work? Measuring the propensity for night-time sales to drunks in a UK city. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2014; 68: 453-6.
- Hughes K, McHale P, Wyke S, Lowey H, Bellis MA. Child injury: using national emergency department monitoring systems to identify temporal and demographic risk factors. Injury Prevention 2014; 20: 74-80.
- Bellis MA, Lowey H, Leckenby N, Hughes K, Harrison D. Adverse childhood experiences: retrospective study to determine their impact on adult health behaviours and health outcomes in a UK population. Journal of Public Health; 2014; 36: 81-91.
- Breindahl T, Evans-Brown M, Hindersson P, McVeigh J, Bellis MA, Stensballe A, Kimergård A. Identification and characterization by LC-UVMS/MS of melanotan II skin-tanning products sold illegally on the Internet. Drug Testing and Analysis 2014. DOI 10.1002/dta.1655.
- Wood SK, Eckley L, Hughes K, Hardcastle KA, Bellis MA, Schrooten J, Demotrovics Z, Voorham L. Computer-based programmes for the prevention and management of illicit recreational drug use: a systematic review. Addictive Behaviors 2014; 39: 30-8.
- Graham K, Miller P, Chikritzhs T, Bellis MA, Clapp JD, Hughes K, Toomey TL, Wells S. Reducing intoxication among bar patrons: some lessons from prevention of drinking and driving Addiction 2014; 109: 693-8.
- Breindahl T, Evans-Brown M, Hindersson P, McVeigh J, Bellis MA, Stensballe A Kimergård A. Identification and characterization by LC-UVMS/MS of melanotan II skin-tanning products sold illegally on the Internet. Drug Testing and Analysis. 2014, DOI 10.1002/dta.1655.
Selected International Documents
- Bellis MA, Hardcastle K, Hughes K, Wood S, Nurse J. Preventing Violence, Promoting Peace. A policy tool kit for preventing interpersonal, Collective and Extremist Violence. The Commonwealth. 2017.
- Meinck F, Steinert JI, Sethi D, Gilbert R, Bellis MA, Mikton C, Alink L, Baban A. Measuring and monitoring national prevalence of child maltreatment: a practical handbook, World Health Organization 2016.
- Hardcastle K. Bellis MA, Hughes K, Sethi, D. Child Maltreatment Prevention Handbook: What the experts say, World Health Organization (Publication November 2015)
- Mercy JA, Hillis SD, Butchart A, Bellis AM, Ward CL, Fang X, Rosenberg ML. Interpersonal Violence: Global Impact and Paths to Prevention. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries 3rd Edition, Gates Foundation and University of Washington. 2015.